Can an employer change their statement toan employment agency a year after the fact?

I was laid off about a year ago and have since been drawing unemployment benefits while I search for another job. I’ve now received an email from my former employer threatening to tell the state that I quit on my own if I file for any more benefits. (Personal grudge) They originally vouched for my Laid Off status. Can they get me in trouble this way and wouldn’t they also be culpable?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First of all, it is not the truth, correct?  And if they lied to unemployment first off then they will be in a heap of trouble so they would never do so.  It is difficult to counsel you on how to proceed in such a heated and personal situation.  You really are the best judge here knowing your former employer on what to do.  Ignore the threats and do not respond?  Address the threat by indicating that that would be perjury and the ramifications to their company would be far greater than to you?  You are the best judge here.  But limit what you say and keep away from them otherwise.  In the meantime, keep in filin'!  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.