Can an employer alter my written time sheet for hours that I worked?

I recently got 2 hours of overtime pay taken away from me. My employer never

said anything until I received my check with a note saying that 2 hours were

taken away and if I had a problem to call the owner because it was his orders. My

GPS on my truck confirms that I did work all the hours I reported.

Asked on September 20, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, legally the employer may not. The law (e.g. the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) requires that all time worked be tracked accurately and that employees be paid for all time worked. Employers may not change or reduce hours recorded or paid. You could contact the state or federal department of labor to file a complaint, if you deem it worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.