Can an alimony award be modified?

In my divorce decree it states I have to pay alimony to my ex-wife until she is employed or remarried, whichever comes first. She has been living with a man for 9 years. She has not married because of the decree. She works but won’t carry a full-time job. She has changed her name legally to his last name.

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that the general rule in the state of Missouri is that alimony/maintenance may only terminate upon the remarriage of the spouse receiving it. There is an exception if you and your ex-wife specifically agreed in your Marital Settlement that the alimony/maintenance payment would terminate if she cohabitated with another person. Did you contact the Recorder of Deeds to inquire if she took out a marriage license? Is it possible that she was married in another state?  I would seek help from an attorney as soon as possible.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.