Can a wife obligate a husband to purchase a house for her when he gets a settlementg money?

He verbally promised to buy me a house
butbi don’t trust him.

Asked on June 2, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

It depends what the settlemnt was for. if it represented pain and suffering, then the awrd is his alone. However, if it represented compensation for lost wages, then it can be consdiered to be marital property and you would have rights to some of it. It basically depends on what the award was for. At this point, you should consult direclty with a local attorney. After reviewing all of the details of the case, he can best advise you further.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your husband is not obligated to give you any of the settlement he receives.  Therefore, he is not obligated to purchase a house for you.  
For example, a personal injury settlement compensates the injured party.  The injured party's spouse has no claim to the settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.