Can a verbal agreement be enforced when one party has shown good faith signed agreements and given compensation and the other party has not and will not sign

I was to be a partner in a piece of
real estate purchased with a friend we
both are occupying the property I have
done maintenance spent on the
property and given half ownership of a
business that I have with assets and
income in good faith and now the
partner is refusing to sign paperwork a
give my 50 interest in the piece of
Real Estate can I do anything about
this we are both living and occupying
the property

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can assert in court that the verbal agreement is enforceable because you detrimentally relied on the existence of a contract by doing maintenance, spending money on the property, and giving half ownership of a business with assets and income to the person who was supposed to be a partner, and that you have supporting texts and e-mails.
The problem however is that your supposed partner cannot be forced to sign the contract and can assert the defense of the Statute of Frauds which requires that a contract for the purchase or sale of real estate be in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.