Can a vehicle be repossessed over $75?

Payment made earlier this month. Next payment due on 22nd. Repossessed on the 24th. Hubby claims is just cannot happen and since payment book states payment due after the 30th has extra fees. Actual amount behind on loan was $75, plus they considered this month payment late as well.

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The answer, unfortunately, is that a vehicle could be repossessed for being as little as $1 behind on or in default of payments. A loan must be paid in full, by the due date (i.e. each monthly payment must be made in full, on time). If the payment is not made in full on time, then the loan or financing is in default. Once it is in default, the lender may take any action to which it is legally entitled. For vehicle loans or financing, that typically includes the right to repossess. So if you are $75 behind or in default on a loan, the car could be repossesed. You should review the loan/financing documents *carefully*--while the lender can strictly enforce them, the lender cannot do anything it is not entitled to by the agreement(s). If, for example, you are given a grace period to

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.