Can a utility company legally turn off electricity for non-payment in the winter if children live on the premises?

Our electric company turned off our electric today. We have 3 kids, all under 5 years of age. We received no phone calls or cancellation notice. We had to pay $300 just to get it turned back on

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Wyoming


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Some states (the majority) do allow for utilities to be shut off even during the winter months. However, some states list such services as a "protected utilities" (iethose which cannot be shut-off during the winter months). WY is such a state that affords this protection, or at least limited protection. Pursuant to state law, electricity (as well as other utilities) cannot be shut-off during the months of November-April if the utility in question is home's main heating source, unless it can be reconnected the same day

Note:  People with limited incomes may be eligible for a variety of programs that provide grants to pay home energy bills. You should speak with your local social services office for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.