Can a U.S. citizen employer sponsor an undocumented needy family?

The family came to the U.S. 2 years ago. They filed for asylum and are

waiting their interview. The mother is a single mom and has 4 children. They

don’t get any federal assistance or welfare. Their economic situation is not good.

Asked on September 18, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they are waiting for their asylum application to be decided then that is what they should do.  You cannot petition for them if they are not related to you in any way.  You might be able to serve as a sponsor if they need, for affidavit of support purposes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.