Can a U.S citizen adopt or sponsor an undocumented college student?

That student is 20 years old. She files asylum with her family together. When she
came to the U.S she was 18. She and her family are waiting for their interview.
She doesn’t receive financial aid or any federal assistance. If she wants to
continue her education, she needs to pay for her classes, but unfortunately, her
family’s economic situation is not good. Now, it is possible a US citizen sponsor
or adopts her? Is there is other ways that she continues her education? she is
not qualified for DREAM ACT.

Asked on September 18, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You cannot adopt her but you can pay for her education if that is what she needs at this point.  If her family is waiting for the asylum application to be adjudicated, they have the right to remain in the US until that decision is reached.  If she needs funds to continue her education, and you are willing to provide that, there is no law against that.  THat in itself, however, does not grant her any status or permission to remain in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.