Can a trustee keep from giving a inheritence?

My grandfather passed away about 4 years ago and my sisters and I
haven’t been givin our portion of my grandfathers house. My uncle says
he will just leave the money in escrow for ever. Besides other sad
events I just need help to figure out if there is anything I can do.

Thanks for any help

God Bless


Asked on July 6, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to get an attorney to push the probate of your grandfather's estate.  The probate court can set time lines on the distribution of gifts as long as the time line is consistent with any will provisions.  This means that the will controls who gets what and when. If the will sets up a trust that says you don't get the funds for a certain number of years... then the will controls.  If the will is silent as to when the funds are to be distributed, then the court can set that timeline.  If no will exists, the the probate code will determine who gets what and when.
You are having issues because you are hiring a Texas attorney.  Texas attorney's are not automatically licensed in Missouri.  You need to hire an attorney in Missouri to assist you.  They will be more effective because they will know the required procedures to push the probate along, and demand an accounting of funds if need be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.