Can a traffic stop be done on private property

I went to Walmart to get food for Thanksgiving.
Once I parked in a parking spot. An officer
pulls up to me with his lights on after I’ve
already parked. The officer said that the
reason he’s pulling me over it’s because on the
way to Walmart I passed him and he seen I
didn’t have a seatbelt on. Can he perform the
traffic stop for a seatbelt violation on
Walmart’s private property or does he have to
wait until I get back in the car and leave the
private property?

Asked on November 23, 2018 under General Practice, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If a traffic violation occurs on a public street, then it is perfectly legal to cite a person for that violation even if they later move onto private property. The fact is that this happens frequently as officers try to wait to pull drivers over at safe locations, and many times this is on private property like a parking lots.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The seatbelt violation occurred on the road to the store. The fact that you were issued the traffic ticket after stopping and parking in a store parking lot is irrelevant. When a traffic stop by police occurs, a driver pulls off the road to a convenient area including a parking lot even though you were not stopped until you were in the parking lot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.