Can a third party be involved in picking up and dropping off my stepdaughter if my husband has a restraining order against his ex ?

Can a relief be granted in the restraining order on the basis that he can attend to his daughter’s graduation or school functions even if the ex is attending the same?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Usually, a spouse or relative of the child will be involved in the "picking up" and "dropping off" of children during child visitation.  However, if there may be a problem with the "exchange" you can ask a court to order that the child be "picked up" or "dropped off" at a local police department.

Restraining orders usually have a "no contact" provision written in to them that forbids any verbal or physical contact.  In some cases, an actual "distance" such as "not within 150 feet" is written into the order.  Restraining orders are usually designed to protect people in certain places, such as your home, work or school.

There would have to be some really extraordinary circumstances to prohibit a parent from attending their child's graduation, despite a restraining order.


For more information on Court Orders, visit my website at:

David Lee



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.