Can a stylist sue me for lost wages if I terminate her verbal lease?

I and a partner are purchasing a salon effective the 1st of next month and we notified one of the stylists in our hair salon that we were giving her 10 days notice of terminating her verbal lease. She informed me that her attorney was going to sue us for lost wages for only giving her 10 days notice instead of 30 days. Since there is not a written contract describing how much notice is given does she have a case? Can she get money from us because we terminated her lease?

Asked on October 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In most states the norm to terminate a residential lease requires a thirty (30) notice. However each state has different laws concerning termination notices for a commercial lease such as the one that you are writing about.

The interesting part of your question is that the commercial lease is a verbal lease and there is no written agreement setting forth notice requirements for its termination.

To be on the safe side, I would have given your tenant a thirty (30) day notice of your intent to end her lease. She possibly could try and sue you for lost income but her claim would have to be based upon the loss of net profits not gross income.

I recommend that you consult further with a commercial landlord tenant attorney about your question. Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.