Can a store drop charges if an LP breaks the rules to catch someone shoplifting?

I shoplifted merchandise but was in the fitting room when I concealed the items. An LP approached me outside and asked me to come with him. I went with him to the stores office where I confessed and gave up the items now I have to go to court and I’m scared because I had 2 of my kids with me. This is my first offense. Upon researching I found out the LP has rules and procedures to follow, so technically according to their rules he wasn’t allowed to approach me since he didn’t see me physically conceal the items. So can the store drop the charges since I confessed and wa completely cooperative?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The stores internal policies have no impact on whether or not you can be found guilty of the crime in court.  The fact that the "LP" broke internal rules and procedures doesn't really have any impact on your case.  You may want to contact the corporate office of the store and ask that they drop the charges since you were so cooperative.  That said, you should contact a local criminal defense attorney and get their help in fighting these charges if they don't drop the charges. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.