Can a spouse be ordered child support in a separation case?

Im a single mother of two now and my husband and I are going through a divorce due to domestic issues. Im getting the courage now to start the process and I also need assistance with our two children.

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Family Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely.  In fact, if your husband had simply moved out, and neither of you had filed for a legal separation or divorce, you could still file for child support.  The sooner you file the child support papers, the sooner you can start getting the money your children need.

In many cases, it really helps to have an experienced attorney on your side.  You may well have rights that you aren't aware of, and there isn't any way to go into any detail on that here because all of the facts of your case can be important.  So I'd recommend looking for a qualified divorce lawyer, and one place to start is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.