Can a roommate who moved out by her own choice unlawfully cut utilities if she is still on lease and people occupy the residence?

Roommate decided to move out for her personal reasons. She did not tell us until the day she moved her stuff. She had been staying with her girlfriend for 3 weeks. Now when I have texted her regarding the rent due, she states she has emailed management explaining why she moved out and demanding her deposit. She is also threatening to have the power shut off Friday. What should the next step on our side be? We have ceased communications until we know what to do next.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the power is in the name of the roommate that has moved out of the rental and in her name only, she can request that the power company shut of the power to the unit. In order to prevent this from happening, I suggest that you contact the power company about the issues you have written about.

From what you have written, this unhappy roommate may still be obligated contractually on the lease that she signed. I suggest that you consult further with a landlord tenant attorney about the issues you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.