Can a repossession company come into your garage or refuse to leave your premises?

In an attempt to repossess our car and man ran into the garage as we were pulling in. I did not know who he was or what he wanted . He shoved me from the car trying to get my purse and keys. My husband came to help and was placed in a choke hold and pushed down on his knees. I continued to ask him over and over who are you , what do you want. He took his shoulder and slammed me up against the car and said he was here for the car. A car pulled into the edge of the garage behind me and a woman came running into the garage yelling. They would leave or identify themselves. What can I do?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a vehicle subject to a repossession can only be repossessed upon an agreed turn over by the person in possession or the taking of it from a public area. For example, a public street or a public parking lot.

Repossession companies are not allowed to trespass upon a person's property to obtain possession of a vehicle such as entering a garage at a person's home. Most importantly, repossession companies and their employees are not allowed to use force to gain access to a vehicle as what apparently happened in your situation.

You should consult with an attorney over what recently happened in order to see what your legal recourse is.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.