Can a power of attorney be revoked?

My dad gave his girlfriend power of attorney who we believe coerced him to do so. My dad has a long history of alcoholism, substance abuse and mental health issues and is now in rehab again. She claims he is going to die but none of us can get info on his condition. He is 100% disabled from the military and my grandparents will recieve his death benefits upon his death. Can she change this with power of attorney? Can we get her POA revoked? She has mental health issues of her own and we believe she is not acting in his best interest.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand how upset this must be.  What you need to do is to go to court and beappointed as the conservator of your Father's estate and his legal guardian.  Only he can revoke the POA so you have to o it for him and this is the best way at this point.  You can challenge her POA saying it was obtained using undue influence, etc., but she could do damage by changing documents before it is resolved.  The POA dies with the person for whom it is enacted but you can not wait.  Get legal help. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.