Can a policeofficer pull you over for nothing, ask to search your car, arrest you and not read you your rights?

Grandson was pulled over driving today, he is 18, says he wasn’t doing anything wrong. The cop asked him if he could search his car and he said OK. Cop found a small amount of marijuana in glove compartment that my grandson wasn’t aware of (he says it’s his friends). Consequently he was arrested, fingerprinted on possession. Upon paying his bail of $500today we were told nothing, said they couldn’t discuss anything because it wasn’t public record? Also, he was not given his Miranda rights.

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your grandson should get a criminal defense attorney to represent him.

Generally, the police cannot pull over a car for no reason. If they truly had no grounds to stop him, that might throw out everything (the evidence and statements) found subsequent to that stop. Of course, the fact that your grandson says he was doing  nothing wrong does not mean there was, in fact, no grounds to pull him over: if he was speeding, driving erratically, driving without lights at night, had a broken turn signal, went through a light or stop sign, or was in car about which there was some alert, for example, that would justify a stop.

If the stop is legal, the search is probably legal, too--a person can consent or agree to a police search, which your grandson did, from what you write. So that's why, to exclude themarijuana, it would be important to invalidate the stop in the first place.

The failure to give the Miranda warnings can often allow exclusion of any statements your grandson made, but would not affect the outcome of the consensual search of the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.