Can a police officer pull you over for being

I passed a cop and he started to follow me and immediately turned on his overheads and initiated a traffic stop. I ask why I was being pulled over the cop said there was a burglary and they were searching for 2 suspects in the woods. The cop ask why I was in this particular area at that time. He said sometimes bad guys will call someone to come pick the up and get them out of the area.

I know in Texas that police cannot simply see someone driving down the road, and decide to pull them over to see what they are up to. They need a reason to believe they are doing something wrong or illegal.

Did the officer have the right to pull me over when I didn’t break any laws or traffic infractions?

Asked on May 4, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The police must have probable cause which is a reasonable belief that criminal activity is afoot.  Since the police were searching for burglary suspects in the area, they could claim probable cause to stop vehicles and search for suspects as part of their ongoing investigation.  Therefore, the police could stop you even though you didn't break any laws or commit any traffic nfractions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.