Can a police officer just walk into my bedroom and start searching my room? Isn’t it illegal to just walk into someone’s room without any reason?

I live in a five bedroom home that i share with roomates. The other night my roomate called the police for an issue she was having, the officer came over and was invited into the entryway, during their conversation, without provocation the officer opened the shut door leading into my bedroom and entered my room, i was in the bathroom and came out to find the officer in my room searching my desktop. I asked what this was all about, clearly startled and unaware that the police were even called. My roomate protested but the police officer found a tiny amount of marijuana and a pipe on my desk

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Criminal Law, Nevada


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Police officers do not have the right to search a home without a warrant or exigent circumstances where they believe that evidence will be lost or destroyed, or if the evidence is in plain site.  The fact that your roommate had them there does not justify the police searching the room.  I need to know more facts about this as it is a fact sensitive analysis.  Why were the police at the house?  I suggest hiring a lawyer as you do not want a drug charge on your record.  you may have a very good basis to suppress the drugs found as it doesnt seem right that the cops searched your room....

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.