Can a petitioner personally give a legal court form to the respondenent?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming this is a document requiring service pursuant to Arizona Rules of Family Law Procedure 43. If so, you may not hand-deliver the papers to the Respondent unless he or she is willing to sign an Acceptance of Service in front of a Notary or Clerk of the Superior Court and return it to you to file with the court (or file it himself).  If you are in Maricopa County, you can get the forms you need from their web site at

In the alternative, you may want to consider service by certified mail return receipt (with affidavit), service by process server, or service by sheriff. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.