Can an eviction be appealed?

Person who is renting a room and has gone to court. Eviction granted and person given 2 weeks to move out by the judge. Can he appeal the judge’s decision?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can appeal.  You must do so in the same court that granted the judgment.  It will probably go to a new judge.

Appeals of unlawful detainer actions are goverened by the following [California Code of Civil Procedure 1176, 1778; Anchor Marine Repair Co. v Magnan (2001) 93 CA4th 525, 528–530.] 

There is a helpful site here:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.