Can a person videotape the inside ofyour house and belongings withoutyour consent and then it turn it over to the police for purposes of obtaining a search warrant?

A maintenance man entered my place while I was gone video taped my belongings, and then called police. The police used this video to obtain a search warrant to raid my house while I wasn’t even home. I came home to a house full of police after being gone about 3 hours. Should I speak with a criminal defense attorney? In St. Francois County, MO.

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you voluntarily allowed a maintenance man to come into your home via permission, you had no justifiable expectation of privacy as to what he saw, videotaped or photographed as a matter of law. As such, the maintenance man who was able to obtain permissive access to your unit was able to depict what he saw in your house and was not precluded from notifying law enforcement as to what was observed.

Apparently what was observed and depicted upon videotape by the maintenance man was sufficient enough to determine probable cause that a crime or offense had taken place to have a search warrant issued by a judge for law enforcement to obtain access to your home.

Given the fact that your home was subject to a search warrant under your ownership, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.