Can a person that is separated in Louisiana and go marry someone in Vietnam

My husband and I have been separated since May 2 ,2016. He left on the 9th of
May , 2016 to go to Vietnam and married someone there. Is that legal can I have
him arrested ?

Asked on May 21, 2016 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A marriage in another conrty is legally recognixed. Therefore, even if your husband married in Viet Nam he is still married to you, at least until your divorce is final. Since, your husband "married" before obtaining a divorce from you, he is guilty of the crime of bigamy. Further, the second "marriage" is considered null and void. This means legally it is as if it never took place. At this point, you are your husband's only legally recognized wife.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.