Can a person remain living with the spouse but file for legal separation?

Recently married, I have learned of a couple business dealings that went wrong. One lawsuit has came up and has included my name although it was something that happen a year before our marriage. I want to protect myself and interest. We have not combined any bank accounts or properties or vehicles.

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Family Law, Arizona


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT.  Based on what you say, the only assets that may be exposed are your own.  If you have anything that is in both your names (i.e. you and your new wife), then those things can be executed on in the event of a judgment.  If nothing is in your name and everything is in hers, then you shouldnt have to worry about those things.  I suggest that you obtain a lawyer to protect you and make sure you disclose all your assets so the lawyer can determine what if any can happen.  I do not have enough facts to give you more definitive answers unfortunately. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.