Can a person probate a will in the state of florida without an attorney? The estate in this instance is relatively small – around $160K -uncontested

My dad passed away recently. I have the original copy of his will with affadavits of witnesses. There is just my brother and myself and we are not contesting any provisions of the will. Does the State of Florida require an attorney to handle all probates? Thanks!

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I am not admitted in Florida, I don't believe that any state "requires" you to use an attorney for any proceeding, although sometimes without one you can get in to a lot of complicated issues.  I have always found that the clerks in the Probate Courts are the nicest and most helpful.   Go down tot he Probate Court in the county in which your Father lived and ask for help.  There are also some websites that you can look at: (there is a PDF of the Probate rules, etc.)  and (look under consumer information for a pamphlet on Probate).

Florida has what is known as a Summary Proceeding for states under $75,000but your appears to be greater than that amount. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.