Can a person get a bond reduction on a drug charge if they have a prior conviction but on a different charge?

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Bond reductions are always possible; bond is there to ensure you don't flee. However, in many situations, if you required to pay a bond, it may not be reduced if you have previous history of fleeing or if the drug charge is so significant, there is a potential bond/bail may be revoked or disallowed. Talk to your lawyer about the initial appearance and setting bond in a lower amount; the judge may have some discretion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.