Can a person be taken off a house deed if there is a joint deed but they are not helping you with any of the responsibilities of maintaining the house?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately you can not just take them off for shirking their responsibilities.  What you can do is to sue them for the money that you have laid out to do the work that is half their responsibility or bring an action for "partition" which asks the court to divide the asset in half but ends up with a sale of real property.  Then you can bargain buying them out by subtracting the money they owe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.