Can a person be susbtituted as co-executor of an estate, if they are not named as a substitute in the Will?

My brother does not wish to serve as co-executor with my sister and renounce and ask that letters be granted to me. I am a beneficiary but not specifically named as an executor. Can the court name me as co-executor anyway if I am willing to serve. My family does not think it is in our best interest to have my sister acting alone.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Yes, you can ask the court to allow you to be named in place of your brother, but your sister and others can object if they see fit.  You should speak with an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.