Can a person be permanently banned from a fat-food restaurant?

My friend received a “Criminal Trespass Notice Form” from the owner of a fast food restaurant. It states, “This Stay Away Notice has no expiration and cannot be modified or terminated unless done so in writing by the Owner/Operator…” . It goes on to say if he doesn’t comply he will be charged with criminal trespassing. He received this letter through the mail with delivery confirmation. Nothing was ever filed in court, or with the authorities. Does this really hold up forever? Shouldn’t there be a time limit on it?

Asked on October 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your frined received in the mail a notice of being banned from a fast food restaurant, he obviously did something warranting the owner of the establishment advising him in writing to not show up at this particular place of business.

As to the legality of this notice, the owner can refuse service to all he or she desires provided the refusal to serve is not based upon some discrimination based upon race, religion, sexual orientation, preference and the like.

The ban from the owner of the business shall remain in force so long as the owner wishes it to remain. If your friend does not know the reason for the ban, he should call the owner of the restaurant about the reasons for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.