Can a parole officer inform employer of a parolee working for them,for the purposes ofverifing employment?

My brother is on parole (12 weeks out now) for felony DWI, drugs. He has no special condition and isn’t a fraud or theft risk. He got a great job in his field, benefits and overtime. The company didn’t background check or ask. Now the P.O. says he must call and tell employee to verify. We’ve asked to provide check stubs, contacts, etc. He refuses and says he will call and if he gets fired he’ll just have to find another job. How does this help him re-enter society successfully? Does anyone supervise PO’s or can they do whatever they want? What can we do to prevent this from happening?

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The Texas Department of Criminal Justice supervises Parole Officers in the State of Texas.  You brother's Parole Officer does indeed have a "boss." The problem here is that I do not know what the guidelines are for a Parole Officer and what they are expected to do within the framework of their position.  Verifying employment may be something that they need to do. Although they should not do anything intentional to have him lose his job they surely can not withhold information that would help perpetrate a fraud on some level.  I am not sure that the "don't ask don't tell" mantra works here.  I would seek help from an attorney in your area.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.