Can a parent add grown child to house deed? What expenses are involved?

What expenses are involved? The house is paid for.

Asked on March 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can.  A party can do what ever he or she likes with the property that they own.  The deed is subject to the right you have to trasnfer the property, meaning you can not transfer a portion that you do not own.  The expense would be that you would need to have a new deed prepared and filed.  It sounds as if you may be doing a little estate planning which is really great but I might consider consulting an attorney to make sure it is all legal under the laws in your state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.