Can a officer issue a citation based on another officers claim?

I was driving my 92 chevy s10 to work and there is a light that takes around 5
minutes to turn green every time due to road work. I got stuck at this light and
and of course i became bored. I glanced down to look for my lighter to light a
cigarette as the light turned green. I drove over the bridge being worked on
where an officer was standing in the middle of the road who directed me to pull
over. He told me that i was texting and driving and that an officer over the
bridge had seen me. Clearly its a trap of sorts because in my time being pulled
over they pulled another 4 cars over. I was issued a 150 dollar ticket. Is there
any way to fight this?

Asked on April 12, 2017 under General Practice, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Yes, officer 2 can issue a citation or ticket based on something seen by officer 1: there is no legal requirement that an officer see the infraction personally, but rather may rely on other credible evidence or testimony, such as the observations of a fellow officer.
2) The fact that it is a "trap" is irrelevant: the police are allowed to create areas or checkpoints where they more aggressively enforce the law (such as, for example, sobriety checkpoints). 
Based on what you write, you do not appear to have a good defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.