Can a nusing home mandate a CNA on a 8 hour medical restriction to work the following shift by saying that they do not have staff in New York?

My girlfriend is A CNA on the night shift at a nursing home in New York State. She is on a 8 hour work restriction from her doctor following knee injuries that happened at work. Can she be mandated to work the day shift legally? They are telling her that they do not have the staffing so she needs to stay, instead of mandating someone else in the facility or making another nurse do her CNA duties.

Asked on March 31, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this. A "reasonable accommodation" for an injury or disability does not include limitions on how many hours you can work or which shifts you can be required to work: that is still up to the employer. "Reasonable accommodations" are things like changes in job rules or procedure, or provision of some assistive or ergonomic device or technology to help the employee--but not a restriction on how much or when you can work. Therefore, regardless of the doctor's note, the employer can require this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.