Can a non-custodial parent take the children on vacation out of the state without notifying the custodial parent?

I have physical custody while sharing legal custody. Can my ex take our kids on vacation out of state without telling me?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as he is not violating the custody and visitation agreement he is free to take the kids away.  He does not have an intention to stay away and not return and he is not taking them anywhere harmful, correct?  I would still ask him to let you know his plans and keep things on the up and up.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.