Can a manager at a restuarant write you up if someone walked out on a bill, if it wasn’t your fault?

A table came in and paid $170 of their $220 bill on one card and said they would pay the rest cash. However, they left without leaving the cash. When I told my manager, she said she was going to dock me for it since it was to big of a comp. Can they do that if there was no way it was my fault?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal for the restraurant to dock your pay or make you pay the difference.  They are allowed to write you up for anything they feel doesn't fulfill their expectations of performance.  So--you can't really fight the write-up, but if they are making or asking you pay the difference you need to contact the local labor commmission and they will render the situation.  I would look for a new employer who is more reasonable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.