Can a man get any rights to a child that has someone else on her birth certificate after 6 years?

My daughter’s biological father wants to be apart of her life after not being there for the last 6 years. He is not on the birth certificate.

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he probably can.  There are many question here like when he found out that he was the biologocal father, etc., that the court will consider.  But if his rights have not been terminated then he can petition for custody.  Courts foster relationships with parents. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.