Can a lawyer open a US bank account for non-US resident?

Can i have a lawyer open a US bank account for me a non-resident? Where do I find one and how much will it cost? How long does the process take?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Business Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are a non-resident of the United States and pursuant to most bank policies and the Patriot Act, you will not be able to obtain a bank account here in the U.S. without some sort of specific information that assures the bank the account is not for criminal activity, there are significant ties to the United States and there is possibilities you will be staying here for significant time periods. While an attorney can help you with research, you will need to open that account. Consider talking to a business lawyer who can help you decide if you are eligible for a bank account here and if this is related to a non-U.S. business, if the business can be the account holder.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.