Can a lawyer help with a cell phone traffic ticket?

I have a job and perhaps switching to another that requires I have a clean

driving abstract. I was holding my cell phone at a stop light and I got a ticket

-297 traffic infraction- yesterday. I want help either to compose a letter to

the court or help at the hearing. Do you have any suggestions? I really want to keep my clean driving record.

Asked on July 6, 2018 under General Practice, Hawaii


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Hiring an attorney in the area of where the ticket was issued might be a good idea. They can best use their local court contacts to your best advantage, possibly even just having you pay a fine regarding the incident.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A lawyer will help, especially if you hire a local traffic/municipal court attorney who knows the local court and prosecutors; such a lawyer will be better able than you to negotiate a favorable settlement, such as possibly pleaing to a no-point (fine only) offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.