Can a landowner raise just one family’s lot rent in a mobile home park?

I have been having a problem the landowner over excessive water usage. Water is included in my monthly lot rent, but the contract states that i am responsible for excessive water usage? He only gets one water bill for the whole mobile home park. He assumes that we are the cause of his main bill to go up (by writing down our meter readings and comparing it to one other person meter reading in the mobile home park). Anyway, we have been paying him a little extra each month for extra water. Now I refused to because he refused to show proof that we are the cause and since I refused to pay.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A landlord has the perogative to increase or decrease various tenants' rents as he or she deems appropriate. There really is no basis for one tenant to complain about an increase in rent unless the reason for the increase is based upon some disciminatory basis.

If you do not think you are the person who is using excessive water at your rental, perhaps you should suggest to the landlord that he or she place a meter on your unit to show the water usage that actually is being made by you for the rental.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.