Can a landlord to make a domestic violence offender leave?

We call the cops on the people below for domestic violence 2-3 a months since last Oct. The guy had a standoff with police 3 weeks ago and was arrested and made bail and is now back below us. This is military housing and the girlfriend is the one enlisted. In order to live here they have to be married and they aren’t. Now that he’s back from jail, the housing office says they can’t tell him to stay away. There for 4 minor girls there too. They office says they’ve issued an eviction notice and there’s nothing else they can do. Can’t they make him leave? What are my rights in this situation?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

They can follow the unlawful detainer process or they can pursue a civil harassment protective order--or a workplace harassment protective order.  However, there is no magical non-judicial process at their disposal to make him leave.  If the guy threatens you, call the police and apply for your own protective order.  In the meantime, stay clear and wait it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.