Can a landlord report me to credit bureaus for damage to my apartment without providing me any receipts for the damage or repairs?

We are disputing charges a landlord is making for damage to our apartment. They state we owe them 2k over and beyond our deposit for a laundry list of items. We met with them and they cut it down to $1100 (which we still felt to be unacceptable). We have requested receipts on multiple occasions and they have admitted they do not have receipts. The items are all bought in bulk and repaired by their staff. They have since forwarded our information to a credit collector and we sent a verification letter. Can it be verified without reciepts?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for your landlord to report you to a credit reporting agency for damages to the rental that you have absent providing you for any receipts for the costs of any repairs. Whether this is allowable under the laws of your state is debatable due to the fact that the claim is disputed and no judgment has presumably resulted.

I woiuld write the landlord asking for hard copy receipt as well as photographs depicting the damages and that absent such evidence you are not going to make any payment and that you would be consulting with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law concerning your recourse for any credit daamge caused by the landlord. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.