Can a landlord refuse my payment after a court judgement and then collect on it later?

My landlord won a judgement on me for late payment of rent (1 month) so had to pay within 10 days. I had the payment within those 10 days, and the landlord refused my payment because the next month is due. So if they refused it do I still have to pay them?

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

To answer your question in detail, I need to know if the judgment that the landlord obtained against you was for the balance of the lease where the judge held that you owed a certain amount to the landlord and that the lease was at an end or not.

If the judgment against you for the landlord was a set amount to be paid within ten (10) days and you tendered the full amount of the judgment in that time period, it was wrong of the landlord to not accept it.

Even though the landlord refused the payment, you are still obligated to make the payment on the judgment. I suggest that you write the landlord a letter advsing of his or her prior refusal to accept the tender and enclose another check for the amount of the judgment. Keep a copy of the letter and check for future reference if need be.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.