Can a landlord of a rental propery next to mine make me pay for damages to their rental property?

The landlord says that I broke the gas line to the rental property next to the property I own. They say I hit the meter with my trailer and cause it to need repair. I’ve asked for proof that I hit the meter. They said the meter repair people said it was leaking for 2 weeks, long before I even bought the trailer. The neighbor and I pushed the trailer to the spot it was by hand and neither of us believe we hit the meter. Anyway, the landlord of the property is saying we owe them for the repairs to the meter. Can they do that without proof we hit the meter?

Asked on September 27, 2010 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ok, this is America and people have the right to bring lawsuits, even if they are ultimately determined to be unfounded or "unprovable" through a lack of evidence. Can the landlord bring the lawsuit?  Sure if he thinks he has a basis for one as against you.  You, however, appear to have your own "evidence" to refute the alleged claims made against you: the meter repair people (they will need to be witnesses, specifically the guy that cam and told you about the leak) and your friend who helped you move the trailer who can testify that you never hit it.  The court will weigh the evidence and then make a ruling.  But if he has no real evidence they can dismiss the case.  Attorney consultation in your area may be a good idea.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.