Can a landlord hold property in lieu of back rent?

My son lost his job and is unable to pay his rent. It has been about 6 months and my son wants to get his property but the landlord and the owners say he can not have it until all the back rent is paid. My son has been trying to work out something with the landlord but is not having any luck. There are several things that he can not replace from his service in the military and tour in Iraq.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all satte sin this country, a landlord cannot hold a tenant's property ransome in exchange for payment of unpaid rent. For the landlord to do what you have written is a violation of many state statutes on the topic as well as case law.

I suggest that your son write the landord a letter requesting the access to his former rental by a set date so he can retrieve his belongings or that he will consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation. If the demanded date comes and goes, your son should consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation.

Make sure he keeps a copy of the letter sent to the landlord seeking access to the unit to retrieve his belongings for future reference and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.