Can a landlord give a deadline of this weekend concerning whether or not I’ll be moving out in the fall, if my lease runs through until the end of the summer?

He tells me that if I don’t meet the deadline, he will rent to another individual in the fall. Can I just tell him yes that I plan to stay, and then give my 30-days notice when my lease runs out? I may want to continue my lease but it’s up to where my job takes me. If I’m still at my current location, I want to stay in my same housing. I adhere to all tenant regulations, including all pay on time, and am an ideal tennant. With respect, he is an ideal landlord as well but this is throwing me for a loop.

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the landlord may do this: he can decide to not re-rent to you unless you provide him the notice he desires. He can't evict you prior to the end of your current lease, but the law does not require him to rent to you again, if he chooses not to. You could do as you say as long as you do not actually sign or execute a new written lease, extension or renewal of the lease, etc. If you do, you will be bound to its terms and length.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.