Can a landlord evict my uncle from the property he is renting because he is a sex offender?

My uncle is currently renting property where he has placed the trailer he owns. The landlord is threatening to evict him because he found out he is a sex offender. Can the landlord legally do this and does he have to provide a court ordered eviction?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your uncle has a signed written lease for the property he is renting, he needs to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed him by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Assuming that your uncle is current on his rent and has not violated any provisions regarding his lease with his landlord, the landlord cannot legally evict your uncle simply because he is a registered sex offender.

To do so is discrimination and there are laws prohibiting this. even though your uncle may he a registered sex offender, he has paid his dues to society since he is now out of jail and he should not suffer discrimination in his attempt to make a new life for himself.

Perhaps your uncle may wish to consult with a landlord tenant attorney regarding his situation?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.