Can a landlord evict a tenant’s roommate because they don’t want extra people in the dwelling even though they are paying extra rent?

It was agreed last month that on the of this month first, my boyfriend’s landlord would allow me to stay with him in the apartment for a month to a month and half, so I could save enough money to get my own place for our children and myself. However, this morning the landlord had told me that the neighborhood watch was calling his house about my family living upstairs and that I “can’t just move in”. But a month ago this was all agreed upon and we also agreed to pay an extra $100 for myself. The apartment is illegal and I did have to buy my own appliances to cook meals for my family.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your the landlord agreed that you could live in the apartment being rented to your boyfriend and has accepted an extra $100.00 for your stay for a month to a month and a half, you are entitled to stay as a tenant for this time period under your agreement with him or her.

The landlord apparently is being pressured from neighbors and he or she might be concerned over the apparent illegal status of the rented unit and being turned in about such by the neighbors.

I suggest you speak with the landlord about the situation and work out an arrangement where you can stay the agreed amount of time taking into consideration the landlord's concerns about the neighbors.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.