Can a landlord charge per person when the original agreement was $400 per room not per person?

I rent a 3 bedroom for $1,200 with my boyfriend and we have 2 roommates. The original agreement was $400 per room and as of last month my landlord says that I have to pay $600 a room because there are 2 adults living in 1 room and my other roommates have to pay $300. Now that wouldn’t have been a problem if that was the agreement to begin with. I’ve lived here for less then a year and they are claiming I have to pay more because I have more furniture in the living room then anyone else. So I’m using more space then anyone else thusmy rent should be more then anyone one else’s.

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am confused here.  First of all, are you renting rooms or an apartment?  And do you have a lease agreement?  A WRITTEN lease agreement?  If you have no written agreement then you have a month to month tenancy and the landlord can indeed increase the rent but he is not really doing that: he is allocating the rent differently.  So I am going to guess that you are renting a room.  And guess what? In certain areas on certain counties that would be considered operating a rooming house and in violation of local codes and laws.  So I would go and seek help from a tenant's rights organization here to see what you can do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.